[Newsletter] High Mayhem This Week

High Mayhem Newsletter newsletter at highmayhem.org
Mon Jan 4 21:31:11 PST 2010

[image: http://highmayhem.org/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/logo.png]

High Mayhem Emerging Arts
2811 Siler Lane
Santa Fe, NM  87505

www.highmayhem.org

*Friday, January 8, 5-9 pm*
*"People, People" - The Art of Chace Haynes
*
Matthew Chace Haynes (mch)
Drawing has been a fifth element for me from childhood. A way to escape to
my own world with my own rules, and within my own parameters of time. A way
to make sense of the shared world, while creating my own parallel universe.
In the mid 1990’s, paint and board found me, as did the world of Southern
visionary Folk art. Coupled with the remnants of the New York scene from the
80’s, I had found my life long lover, in the blank starts of paper and
board, and any means of marking on them. I love the challenge of any
material to be put to task. My work starts as simple marks; gestures from a
source constantly redefining itself, and its values. I have to spend hours
looking in to a piece to understand what it is wanting to say, and sometimes
years to get what has been said. Drawing in to a piece to challenge the
stability, or balance the forms, every piece is subject to change, until no
longer in my possession. The dualities of religion, politics, economics, and
spirituality overwhelm the senses, and can steal the fun from under our
feet. My work continues to bridge that world, with one of endless
possibilities and resources, while creating an ever expanding dialog with
forms and ideas yet to be defined. As Lao-tzu has said: “Free from desire
you realize the mystery, caught in desire you see only the manifestations”

[image: http://highmayhem.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/website1.jpg]
*

Sunday, January 10, 12noon MATINEE
Things That Are Heard - Music of Dave Wayne

*

Dave Wayne (percussion), Paul Bossert (trombone), Elliot Ryan (conga), Dan
Pearlman (coronet), Ross Hamlin (guitar), Sean Buckley (guitar), Casey
Anderson (bass)

The music is not really jazz, and it's not really rock - but somewhere in
between the two, while still being apart from both. Wayne is hugely
influenced by Frank Zappa, The Meters, Miles Davis, and Ornette Coleman, and
he listens to various types of ethnic music a lot (African, Eastern
European, etc.). These influences are huge – when Wayne composes he likes to
build the music around basslines, rhythm & melody and leave the harmony
aspects up to the players' discretion. He looks at the musical score as a
sort of 'serving suggestion' not so much to be followed not-for-note, but as
a guideline towards a final result that works for everyone in the band (and
hopefully for the listener). He also relies on some of the examples, lessons
& advice that other composers he has worked with - such as Mark Weaver and
Chris Jonas - have given to him directly when working on their music as a
drummer. Wayne likes music that is fast, complicated and busy - but he also
likes strong melodies and funky grooves.

Paul Bossert, Ross Hamlin, and Sean Buckley have also contributed pieces to
the set.

www.myspace.com/drummingincolors

[image:
http://highmayhem.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/things_that_are_heard.jpg]

For more information on these events and upcoming events, please visit
www.highmayhem.org