Check the awesome performances happening this week

High Mayhem Newsletter newsletter at lists.highmayhem.org
Sun Sep 11 09:40:24 PDT 2011

[image: High Mayhem]

 * *
*Carla Bozulich / Venus Bogardus / The Proxemics

*
*Sunday, September 11 at 7:30pm*
*
*
*High Mayhem Studio
2811 Siler Lane, Santa Fe NM

*
$10 suggested donation

*CARLA BOZULICH*
Carla Bozulich is a critically acclaimed musician and singer who's
groundbreaking work has made her a highly regarded and valuable presence in
the avant-music scene. Her bands have included the Geraldine Fibbers,
Evangelista, Red-Headed Stranger (w/ Willie Nelson), Scarnella (w/ Nels
Cline), Ethyl Meatplow, as well as numerous other projects with noted
musicians and albums released under her own name.

For this concert, Carla is appearing with John Eichenseer (a.k.a. JHNO) as a
duo of vocals, violin and electric guitar. Her newest album with
Evangelista, In Animal Tongue, is to be released in September on the
Constellation label. You can hear a song from it here:
http://cstrecords.com/cst082/

For more, go to Carla’s website: http://carlabozulich.com/ Or check out her
Wiki: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Carla_Bozulich

John Eichenseer has released several solo albums as JHNO, and with the bands
SPOOL and CRATER, among others. He has worked with Carla Bozulich, Bjork,
John Zorn, Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, and Laurie Anderson.

John’s website is called Delicate Ear: http://delicateear.com/

*VENUS BOGARDUS
*
Venus Bogardus is a Trans-Atlantic post-punk band formed in England and
relocated to the Santa Fe, NM area, playing national shows and UK shows on
return visits. The band is inspired by "no-wave-new wave", and experimental
literature.

Founding members James Reich (vocals, guitar) and Hannah Levbarg (vocals,
bass guitar) met in 2002 as fans of Richard Hell’s writing and music, fell
in love, opened (and closed) a nationally acclaimed independent bookshop in
Bath, England before collaborating on Venus Bogardus in 2005. James is a
published author and poet. Hannah, originally from Texas, is Richard Hell’s
Web forum moderator (since 2003). The couple is fictionalized in the book
Julie & Julia by Julie Powell.

http://www.venusbogardus.com/

*The PROXEMICS*

Founded in early 2009, The Proxemics are an autonomous music project with a
revolving cast of musicians led by lynch pin and frontman Alex Neville (The
brilliant Dullards, A. Barnhouse, Audible Whispering 1/2 Quartet).

The Proxemics are a stripped down assembly, sometimes appearing as a
garage-based, dirty wall of sound, sometimes as deconstructed balladeers
offering you their hearts on their sleeves. Neville unites crunchy, angular
alt-rock with a singer-songwriter sensibility while never letting go of his
experimental roots. Mimicking the definition of their moniker, The Proxemics
are at times both distant and intimate, treating their audience to an
emotional tug-of-war. The songs appear effortless on the surface, but upon
deeper investigation they become a complex system of asymmetrical forms with
sonic threads and noise, weaving songs into a larger, continuous theme.

The shifting members of The Proxemics are often long-time members of the
High Mayhem Emerging Arts Collective, also based out of Santa Fe, New
Mexico, which has helped shape the City Different’s unique underground scene
for the last ten years.

Alex Neville (Guitar, Mandolin, Vocals), Antione Pasquier (Guitar), Peter
Duggan (Bass) and Lukas Carr (Drums).

http://highmayhem.org/artists/music/the-proxemics

*

The Grannia Griffith Story opens for Nick Jaina

*
*Thursday, September 15 at 7pm*
*
*
*Warehouse 21
1614 Paseo de Peralta, Santa Fe NM

*
Nick Jaina and his band return to Santa Fe on their western states tour to
promote the new album The Beanstalks That Have Brought Us Here Are Gone.
Joining Nick will be Kaylee Cole from Seattle on vocals.

Opening is Santa Fe's own The Grannia Griffith Story.

Nick Jaina is a musician and writer from Portland, Oregon. He has released a
handful of albums in the past decade on Hush Records. His last full-length
was A Bird in the Opera House. He is releasing a new album this spring
featuring all new songs he wrote and produced, with vocals from ten
different female singers. That album is called The Beanstalks That Have
Brought Us Here Are Gone. He is currently working on a ballet and choral
music project in New York City that involves dancers from the New York City
Ballet.
http://nickjaina.com/

*The After Hours Alliance and the Santa Fe Reporter's
AHA Progressive Arts Festival

*
*Sunday, September 18
*
*
*
*The Railyard
Santa Fe NM
*

FREE!!!!

 This event is brought to you by The Santa Fe Reporter and the After Hours
Alliance (Team Everything, High Mayhem, The Process, Meow Wolf, Mix, SITE,
and more).

>From 10am to 6pm thirty-five artists will be selling their work and setting
up installations, showcasing multimedia or performance art pieces, or
creating interactive art. The event will feature all different types of
artists, working in different mediums, and at all different points in their
careers.

>From noon until 10pm we will feature music and performances from a myriad of
local artists.

Come celebrate the emerging and progressive art that Santa Fe offers!

www.highmayhem.org
Like us on Facebook!