SOLOS with CJ Boyd, Andrew Weathers, Ermine, The Uninvited Guest at Zephyr! Sunday, March 4th

High Mayhem Newsletter newsletter at lists.highmayhem.org
Sat Mar 3 12:47:40 PST 2018

	Join us at Zephyr for a night of sonic bliss.

	Longtime High Mayhem favs CJ Boyd and Andrew Weathers return and are
joined by Ermine and HM's own Carlos Santistevan.

	 [1]

	CJ BOYD

	B assist turned vagabond C.J. Boyd uses bass loops and voices in
order to try and stop time. On perpetual tour since March 2008,
movement and stasis are both at the center of his music. Weaving
together improvisation with a sparse, minimalist aesthetic, Boyd
creates waves of sound, worlds of provocative unlived memories through
a singular approach to the upright bass and electric bass guitar that
makes everything near and far.

	T hough solo performance takes up the bulk of his time and effort,
he occasionally tours with the improvised chamber orchestra Kurva
Choir [2] and has also released music with Chris Schlarb, Eliot
Lipp, Move [3], and his electronic alias DJ Too Slow. Past projects
include Desert Center, Rhonya [4], Like No Tomorrow, and he's been
known to join a band for a one-off or the length of a tour, such as
with Paleo (AZ), Shy Hunters (NY) [5], Real Live Tigers (TX), and
Harm (AK). All the while, he also runs a small label called Obsolete
Media Objects [6], which has released such lovely folks as Balmorhea,
Aisha Burns, Dilute, and Nelly Kate.

	His non-stop musical travels have been propelled primarily by a van
that runs on vegetable oil while in North America, whereas frequent
European tours will find him catching trains, buses, planes, boats,
and cars. But regardless of how he arrives to the gig, the music is
driven by a commitment to ceaseless discovery and re-invention. His
oceanic sounds provide a home for the homeless and journeys to the
homebound.

	http://www.cjboyd.com
https://cjboyd.bandcamp.com/ [7]

	Andrew Weathers

http://andrewweathers.com/ [8]

My name is Andrew Weathers, I’m a composer and improviser from
Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I was born in 1988 to parents from North
Carolina and Texas. For a while I lived in Greensboro, NC, where I
received a BM in Music Composition from the University of North
Carolina at Greensboro. Now I live in Oakland, CA, where I studied
Electronic Music at Mills College. I play guitar and banjo with
occasional electronic augmentation.

My music blurs composition, improvisation, and appropriation, taking
key elements from folk, experimental, and punk traditions. I’m
interested in using a minimal amount of source material and I’m
interested in repeating myself. Art is a vehicle for social change, a
means to create the world we want from what we have. I think the world
at large could learn a lot from the DIY music community. I’m
interested in the internet connecting us, but using it to make real
world connections.

I perform solo and head up a group called Andrew Weathers Ensemble. I
also regularly perform and record as a part of Parties, Kirtan Choir,
and Tethers. I’ve collaborated with Christopher Willits, Bicameral
Mind, Andrew Marino, Squadda B, Tatsuya Nakatani, Lukas Ligeti,
Laurent Estoppey, Tanner Menard, Brian John Mitchell, and Hal McGee,
live and on record. I’ve studied with Fred Frith, Roscoe Mitchell,
Eugene Chadbourne, Mark Engebretson, and Alejandro Rutty.

My good friend Andrew Marino and I also operate a record label called
Full Spectrum Records because it’s important to me to have an outlet
to promote musicians that I admire and love. We release work from
young composers in unique forms and limited editions. I also regularly
work with Overlap, Other Minds, & Dronebar.

	ERMINE from Burque!

	https://www.facebook.com/erminemusic/

	THE UNINVITED GUEST(S) is the project of musician, sounds engineer
and bass player Carlos Santistevan. The improvisational ensemble is
anchored by Carlos on upright bass and electronics. At times inviting
Guests to perform with, the group has ranged in size from solos to
septets over the course of 15 years.

	Carlos Santistevan is a founding member and director of High Mayhem
Emerging Arts. Since 2001 he has helped drive numerous genre bending
and creative music ensembles including: The Late Severa Wires, iNK oN
pAPER, A. Barnhouse, Taiji Pole, Out of Context, and more.

	His solo work incorporates acoustic and electric bass along with live
looping and electronics to create a unique bass driven music.

	https://highmayhem.org/artists/music/the-uninvited-guests/

Links:
------
[1] https://highmayhem.org/home/cj-boyd-2/